Friday, August 5, 2011

It's Kinda Early in the Year, But Cheesecake is Forever.

Happy Friday and bring on the weekend.  I need a break because I just spilled an entire cup of coffee in my lap.  I'm wearing white, linen pants.  I live 20 minutes from my office.  I will be spending the afternoon with a semi-wet crotch that smells of Beanstock Roasters Hazelnut.

I have been CRAVING this cheesecake since June.  Ordinarily, anything having to do with pumpkin is saved for September.  But, this cake would be the perfect ending to a spicy BBQ. 

I double the recipe for the crust because I like a whole lotta crust.  If you don't, then don't do it.  I'm not there holding a gun to your head telling you to make it my way.  But, I am secretly watching you.

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Sour Cream Topping

(from Epicurious.com)

For the crust

3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

For the filling
1 1/2 cups solid pack pumpkin
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
three 8-ounce packages cream cheese, cut into bits and softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla

For the topping
2 cups sour cream
2 tablespoons fine sugar

Make the crust:

In a bowl combine the cracker crumbs, the pecans, and the sugars, stir in the butter, and press the mixture into the bottom and 1/2 inch up the side of a buttered 9-inch springform pan. Chill the crust for 1 hour.

Make the filling:

In a bowl whisk together the pumpkin, the egg, the cinnamon, the nutmeg, the ginger, the salt, and the brown sugar. In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream together the cream cheese and the granulated sugar, beat in the cream, the cornstarch, the vanilla, the bourbon liqueur, and the pumpkin mixture, and beat the filling until it is smooth.

Pour the filling into the crust, bake the cheesecake in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the center is just set, and let it cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes.

Make the topping:

In a bowl whisk together the sour cream and sugar
Spread the sour cream mixture over the top of the cheesecake and bake the cheesecake for 5 minutes more. Let the cheesecake cool in the pan on a rack and chill it, covered, overnight. Remove the side of the pan and garnish the top of the cheesecake with the pecans.


(The original recipe HERE  uses bourbon and pecans.  I'm not a liquor/nut person in my dessert.  So I omitted)

Enjoy!! - and send me a piece.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds wonderful! I may have to make this for Halloween!

    xo,
    Melissa Placzek
    www.ChinDeep.com

    ReplyDelete