Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Farewell to Cupcakes

On Monday night the world lost a great man. The Cupcake Man, my mentor, co-worker and friend passed away. He'd had a stroke in October and had been battling back when pneumonia hit him unexpectedly. I spent last Saturday afternoon with him and I'm happy that I was able to give him a hug and kiss before I lost him. If I had known that was that last time I'd see him I would have told him how much he meant to me and how the world was a brighter place because he was in it. I didn't tell him how much I would miss his hugs, his smiles and the way he laughed so hard sometimes that no sound would come out. How I would miss his annoying habits, his impossible demands, the sheets of paper written in longhand that were illegible to every one including him and constant phone calls that lasted an hour because it took him that long to explain a simple task. I will miss his stories and his inappropriate comments about my outfits that may have seemed perverted to some, but he always found away to make it seem gentleman like. I will miss how he would place his hand on the right side of his face when he discussed things with you that were of great importance. I will miss his positivity, his kindness and his tendency to "over share" medical problems. I will miss the bags of treats he use to bring me. Every time he saw a delicious dessert while he was out at lunch, he would have them wrap it up and bring it back to the office for me. I will miss our long talks about food and restaurants we'd both visited.

We are all devastated and the news still hasn't sunk in.I dedicate this post to him. I miss you, my friend.

13 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with you and those who knew him. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry! He will be missed by many, I'm sure.

    *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for you loss. I'm sure he will be greatly missed. My thoughts are with you and everyone whose life was impacted by the Cupcake Man.

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. He sounded like a great and hilarious guy. I'm glad you got a chance to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry....it was evident, even at the inception of this blog, how fond you were of 'cupcake man'....my sincere condolences.
    -Morvy

    ReplyDelete
  6. My condolences on your loss. I'm sure he'll be missed. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really sorry, that's too bad. If his obit hasn't already run let me know and I'll make sure no one screws it up and that it gets top billing.

    Too much death going around here lately. If there's anything we can do just let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am crying for you. I am so so so sorry for you loss. If you need a (virtual) shoulder to cry on, or just need to talk, you know where I am. Take care of yourself girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry, girl, and I'm so glad you went to see him over the weekend. I'm sure he knew how much he meant to you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to hear about The Cupcake Man. He sounds like a wonderful man. I am very happy that you had a chance to see him before he passed. My thoughts are with you. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete