Thursday, January 22, 2009

Going Green All The Way

I'm all for being eco-friendly. Our planet is so fucked up that I try to do my best to shrink my carbon footprint. I have become the recycling Natzi of the household. I have been known to shriek "Don't throw that away! We recycle that". I compost everything....veggie peels, apple cores, dryer lint, moldy bread, hair from hairbrushes (I know is sounds gross, but it works) sticks, leaves etc. I bring my own bags to the grocery store and I only have a retail store bag up something if I can't possible carry it out of the store as it is. I use both sides of every piece of paper and I'd rather put a sweater on than turn up the heat.

So, I'm on the phone the other day and I'm on hold (story of my life). While I'm on hold, I usually surf around the web for work, but I decided to skip on to MSNCB.com and read the entertainment and health news. I'm flipping through articles about Branglina, the Golden Globes and some new diet craze when I hit an article that was worthy of my time; Eco-Friendly Sex Toys.

You see, most sex toys are made of PVC and phthalates. Nasty stuff. The jury is out on just how harmful these materials are; the chemical companies say they're just fine, while environmentalists say they're like poring lead down your throat. Nevertheless, it's not good. Give the fact that I have a good sampling of most the products out there, I was a bit concerned about tainting my netherregions. They're sacred to me.



Instead of heading to the veggie drawer and going "au natural", I decided to Google up some alternatives. Of course, TreeHugger.com has the perfect solution: The Solar Powered Vibrator. No more batteries, just leave the solar panel out in the sun for 7 hours and enjoy buzzing for at least an hour. But, what do you do if you live in Alaska during the time that it's dark for days at a stretch? Do UV lights work?

The Sensual Vegan has become my new favorite place to shop. I may raz the veggies about not eating cow but they are a bunch of sex freaks! I'm loving it. Any site that promotes literature such as "The Ethical Slut" and "Anal Pleasure and Health" is my kinda place.

So I have found a way to save the planet, one orgasm at a time. Whose with me?

9 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted about a few of the places you shop. I never know where to go. And the chance to be green, cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO with you! I'm really looking forward to checking out those sites :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That vibrator picture puts a whole new meaning to "whatever tickles your pickle"...heh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meh! I recycle more than anyone I know, use all natural cleaning products, buy hundreds of dollars worth of Sigg bottles so that we don't buy bottled water anymore, blah, blah, blah, but I'm sticking with my tried and true sex toys.

    It's just like the damn electric cars, Hon, they'll charge twice as much for something that can't pass a fully loaded tractor trailer on the highway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michele: I'm always willing to share info. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

    Kat: LOL!!! Excellent! I didn't even think of that!

    MadWoman: Good Girl! Good vibrations are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Ethical Slut? Do post a review on that, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's a tough one. So do you have to leave the whole thing out to charge? If so, I'm out. I'm all about recycling and using my own grocery bags but leaving my vibrator on the front stoop might be a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Someone should invent a toy that has one of those hand-crank generators on it. That way, if you're plugged in and there is a power outage, you can keep on going.

    ReplyDelete